CrossFit 727 CrossFit Games Intramural Open
The CrossFit Games are the ultimate test of fitness and the winners are crowned fittest on earth. The CrossFit Games Open is a five-week competition, with the first WOD announced on Thursday, February 23. This competition is for everyone in the box, but at CrossFit 727 we feature an in house intramural style twist! Yes, that’s right…we think that everyone should try to participate – especially with scaled versions of the WODs available. Regardless of your skill level, there is still a lot you can learn about yourself as an athlete, just by participating. Come for the competition, the community, the camaraderie, the cheering!
Instead of JUST focusing on the online component of the competition, like last year, we are going to add a CrossFit 727 specific twist. We will be splitting everyone up into teams, with coach nominated members as captains leading the way. We think this is a fun way to focus on more participation and celebration instead of just competition.
- On February 17, all captains will meet to draft teammates. Therefore, you MUST be registered by 2/16! The more people in the draft, the more points available to win!
- Each captain will be in charge of a Facebook group JUST for your team to communicate with each other throughout the 5 weeks of competition.
- Teams don’t have to complete the WOD on the same day, but cheering/supporting each other on is highly encouraged.
- Here’s how you earn points:
- Teams are given 1 point for every athlete who completes an Open workout.
- Teams are given 3 points for every athlete who finishes among:
- The top 2 men/women RX (including masters)
- The top 2 men and women scaled
- Teams are given 5 points if they win the “Spirit of the Open” award on any given week – this could be coordinating outfits, special cheers for teammates, posters…or even a teammate showing the most heart/effort…the possibilities are endless.
- Additional point options to be announced on a weekly basis!
- Prizes/awards: 1st Place Team, Spirit of the open team, Spirit of the open individual
You have two options to complete the weekly WODS, with the first one starting on Friday, 2/24:
- Friday Nights – standards review starts at 6:15 p.m. SHARP
- Saturday Mornings – 10 a.m. (*We will still have a regularly scheduled WOD on Saturday at 9 a.m., where the WOD will be the same as the Open WOD, but we would really like to have everyone participate in the Open itself)
How to sign-up
Sign-up online at the games.crossfit.com site. The fee is $20 and be sure to select CrossFit 727 as your box.
- Each participant will be judged by either a coach or another member.
- Then, it is each person’s responsibility to post their scores online before 8 PM each Sunday evening. This is VERY important and the sooner you post your score, the better. If you miss one week, you are disqualified from the competition.
- After all scores are validated, you can see where you rank against everyone else in your age group, region and even the entire world – how awesome is that?
- We understand there may be some situations that prevent you from completing the WODs on either Friday p.m. or Saturday a.m. However, we HIGHLY encourage you to make one of those times for the group environment – it illustrates what our community is all about. But we know things happen, and to coordinate a make-up time, contact coach Ryan by email at email@example.com or phone at 727.871.1542.
**CrossFit 727 will only be able to validate scores for those who register under CrossFit 727 when signing up on the official CrossFit Games site.
Open Related Events
- 2/23: Thursday Night Announcement Watch Party
- 2/24: FNL Open Kickoff and “Open House Potluck”
- 3/3: FNL Photoshoot
- 3/25: Closing Day Donuts and Coffee
- 3/25: Closing Day Night Out